Mission Statement

Bearing Witness to Local Natural History-- from the wildness of Indiana








Sunday, June 19, 2011

Excerpt: Dancing With Herons-- "The Night" Poem

A great blue heron coursed across a deepening blue sky this evening as night fell. It reminded me of a poem I wrote many years ago. "The Night" is included in my book Dancing With Herons.

                                           
                                           Copyright Joni L. James
                                  
The Night
Walking
This evening.
The waning light from the setting sun.
Darkness enveloping the ponds.
Full moon glowing bright.
Coursing through the sky in dark silhouette,
To eclipse the moon,
Your powerful wingbeats carry you.
Left with my thoughts,
I wonder where you are going.
How will you pass the dark hours?
It's a different world you know . . .
The night.

No comments: